I am going to start with this:
I hope you’re pumped as well.
Elon Musk is planning already how and when the semi-truck is coming to the transport industry.
As we know Elon Musk core purpose in this marketplace is sustainable energy and transportation.
Also, we know that after the Model 3 sedan, Tesla Inc. will show an electric semi-truck and a pickup vehicle within 18 months and 24 months.
Doing that can disrupt the car hauling industry, towing companies, freight companies, logistics companies, broker companies, truck repair and maintenance services and a lot more.
A new market along with a new technology may appear and has the possibility to change business processes for the vast majority of parties from the transport industry.
Here is what CarShipIO found on how Tesla semi-truck can FAIL 🙂
- What’s the biggest challenge? Range.
In the auto transport industry, drivers typically cover 200 to 400 miles a day or even more, something hard to do with batteries alone.
Milton CEO at Trevor Milton figures that “Musk’s truck will get around 200 to 300 miles range.”
In the long-hauling game, the solution will be recharging.
But you’re probably thinking “Is this real? How much should we wait to recharge our truck? Probably longer than a Model S sedan (which is 30 minutes to get it to 80%).
No worries you will probably be helped here by the Federal Rules or use of battery technology swamping.
2. What’s the 2nd challenge? The weight of the battery.
All the parts of the diesel drive train will be removed, but the mass of the batteries will get bigger with the increased range of driving.
At the end of the day, we don’t know the technology Tesla is going to use for the semi-truck battery.
Overall the trend is that battery technology today will completely different in the years to come as the energy density is increasing at a faster rate. Note that Tesla is looking for alternatives on this point.
3. Another challenge is the highway infrastructure, specifically a network to charge the electric trucks.
A huge amount of investments will be needed to develop the needed infrastructure for this new technology.
4. The price of the semi-truck is also a huge factor for owner-operators, small and medium trucking businesses, and even larger transportation businesses.
The higher the price, the less it will be accessible for other businesses that don’t have cash to invest and guess what?
Investing the money in the Tesla semi-trucks will help trucking companies with getting rid of fuel expenses and maybe other operating costs.
In terms of what we CarShipIO found on how Tesla semi-truck can WIN is simple.
The team behind Tesla, along with the vision of Elon Musk, can really make it happen.
We all know that all of them are clearly aware of the core problems they may face in short and long term to disrupt the space.
I also wanted to share with you some other predictions we found from other auto transport and vehicle professionals for the Tesla semi-truck:
- Tesla aesthetics and aerodynamics
- Compatibility with all types of trailer from the auto transport industry
- Chassis with batteries under the cab of the truck
- Rear Electric Motors
- Additional underslung batteries on trailer
- Autonomy or semi-autonomy, ideal for highway long hauling
- Wealth of data and experience from semi-autonomy to improve road safety
- Reduce auto transport operating costs
If you want to hear more news from us in terms of the new Tesla truck just go here Contact me with “Tesla fan’’.
P.S if you know more news from Tesla or Elon Musk just let us know.
As always, happy car hauling and until next time!